Access anywhere, anyhow, anytime
Our courses are available on PC, Mac, tablet and mobile and can be accessed at any time that suits you
Multimedia tools and resources
Learn through on-demand videos, articles, downloadable resources, quizzes and assignments. Join conversations and share ideas our closed group forum
Confirmation of completion
Receive digital confirmation of course completion
- About You
- About You: Survey
- Welcome to An Introduction to Effective Public Engagement
- Resources for the course
- Course Workbook
- What is Public Engagement and Why Is It Important?
- What Can Public Engagement Do For You?
- The Path of Public Engagement
- QUIZ 1 Introduction
- QUIZ 1
- What and Who Are You Aiming For: Overview
- Step 1: Set Clear Aims and Objectives
- Step 1 Action
- Step 2: Hone Your Audience
- Examples of Target Audiences
- Task 1 Introduction
- Task 1 Worksheet
- Task 1 Outline
- Developing an Engagement Activity: Overview
- Review of Task 1
- Step 3: Assess Different Methods of Engagement
- Step 4: Relationship-building Is Key
- Task 2 Introduction
- Task 2 Worksheet
- Task 2 Outline
- Final Destination: Evaluate, Learn and Share Overview
- Review of Task 2
- Step 5: Evaluate Your Activity and the Impact of Your Engagement
- Sharing Learning and Informing Future Plans
- Looking Back on the Path of Effective Public Engagement
- Further Information and Examples
- QUIZ 2 Introduction
- QUIZ 2
- Course Takeaways
- Course Completion
Anyone wanting to understand or deliver public engagement
Anyone interested in learning something new
Are there any course requirements?
Anyone is welcome to participate in this course and no prior knowledge is required.
How long will it take to complete the course?
The course will take approximately 6.5 hours to complete. But you can pause your learning at any time and pick up where you left off later to allow you to work at your own pace. By the end of the course we hope you’ll have gained the basic skills to feel more confident in planning your own public engagement activities, as well as be more successful.
The Basics of Science Communication
There are a number of basics to master if you want to have the right impact. This course walks you through the art of communicating science, the six elements of good science communication, and looking beyond communicating.